From the Constitution of Friedens United Church of Christ:
The Mission Statement of Friedens United Church of Christ
Friedens United Church of Christ in keeping with being a part of the Kingdom of God declares its mission to be an organization that is rooted in the love and teachings of Jesus Christ. We strive to provide a loving, caring Christian community that is open to all who wish to follow our Lord and Savior. We are committed to supporting the needs of our local community as well as the wider Church and the world. This will be accomplished by sharing the Word of Christ through worship, community outreach, missions and by keeping Jesus Christ at the center of everything we do.
- Acknowledges Jesus Christ as our sole Head
- Acknowledges all who confess in Jesus Christ as the Son of God and Savior as our brothers and sisters in Christ
- Looks to the word of God in the Scriptures
- Looks to the presence and power of the Holy Spirit to prosper its creative and redemptive work in the world
- Claims the faith of the historic church expressed in the ancient creeds and reclaimed in the basic insights of the Protestant Reformers
- Affirms the responsibility of the Church in each generation to make this faith its own
- Recognizes two sacraments: baptism, and the Lord’s Supper or Holy Communion
- Recognizes the rites of confirmation, ordination, consecration, marriage, and burial
“We join in covenant with God and one another to seek and respond to the Word and the Will of God. We propose to walk together in the ways of the Lord, made known to us. We hold it to be the mission of the Church to witness to the gospel of Jesus Christ in all the world, while worshipping God and striving for truth, justice, and peace. As generations before, we depend on the Holy Spirit to lead and empower us. We pray for the coming of the Kingdom of God, and we look with faith toward the triumph of righteousness and eternal life.”
Statement of Faith
As a congregation of the United Church of Christ, we value the expression of our faith through the words of the United Church of Christ Statement of Faith (in the form of a Doxology):
We believe in you, O God, Eternal Spirit,
God of our Savior Jesus Christ and our God, and to your deeds we testify:
You call the worlds into being, create persons in your own image, and set before each one the ways of life and death.
You seek in holy love to save all people from aimlessness and sin.
You judge people and nations by your righteous will declared through prophets and apostles.
In Jesus Christ, the man of Nazareth, our crucified and risen Savior, you have come to us and shared our common lot, conquering sin and death and reconciling the world to yourself.
You bestow upon us your Holy Spirit, creating and renewing the church of Jesus Christ, binding in covenant faithful people of all ages, tongues, and races.
You call us into your church to accept the cost and joy of discipleship, to be your servants in the service of others, to proclaim the gospel to all the world and resist the powers of evil, to share in Christ’s baptism and eat at his table, to join him in his passion and victory.
You promise to all who trust you forgiveness of sins and fullness of grace, courage in the struggle for justice and peace, your presence in trial and rejoicing, and eternal life in your realm which has no end.
Blessing and honor, glory and power be unto you. Amen.